The sweater continues to cement its place in every closet and Lyst showcases the most covetable styles right here. Novelty knits sit alongside super-soft cashmere and angora. Borrowed-from-the-boys slouchy or cable-knitted sweaters are the perfect foil for skinny jeans or leather pants, and optical patterns look chic with ladylike skirts for a fresh take on 9-5 style.
The Sweater Buying Guide
whether you prefer wrapping up in understated and traditional pieces, or rainbow-bright and graphic styles, there is a sweater to suit every shopper in this selection. find thick fair isle knits and cashmere that will see you through the winter, alongside finely ribbed styles for spring and summer evenings. ahead, take a look at our sweater buying guide, which will help you decide on the styles that work best for you, as well as the size you should go for.
Know Your Sweater Styles
this sweater is cut to a v-shape at the neck. available in a range of colors, it is ideal for layering over a shirt for a more formal look.
2020欧洲杯体育正规投注平台one of the popular and classic styles, the crew-neck (or round-neck) sweater deserves a place in every wardrobe. it boasts a rounded, close-fitting neck and comes in both pared-back and bold iterations.
also referred to as a polo neck, mock neck or roll neck, a turtleneck sweater has a neckline that covers some or all of the neck. whether it is a form-fitting tissue-thin turtleneck, or a chunky version, it’s a sweater that will add a sophisticated edge to your outfit.
2020欧洲杯体育正规投注平台this sweater is designed with a zip that stops halfway and can be used to open and close the neckline.
Fair Isle Sweater
2020欧洲杯体育正规投注平台this sweater features a traditional knit pattern that takes its name from the small island of fair isle in the shetlands. choose from fair isle knits with an all-over pattern or more discreet designs that are just patterned at the neckline.
2020欧洲杯体育正规投注平台giving a nod to heritage style, the cable-knit sweater is knitted in a way that creates a textured pattern resembling the twist. it is also known as an aran or fisherman’s sweater.
What To Look For When Buying Sweaters
2020欧洲杯体育正规投注平台aside from the style and color, the quality of your sweater should also be a consideration when deciding on the sweater to buy. we recommend aiming to buy the best quality sweater that your budget will allow, especially if you plan on investing in a cashmere version. it is also worth checking the material for additional details, such as the ply or the specific country of origin of the fiber.
How to Care For Your Sweaters
caring for your sweater properly will depend on the specific material or fabric that it is made from, and we would always advise checking the care label that is stitched into every piece and following the instructions carefully. to keep your sweater looking it’s best for longer, we have put together some care and maintenance tips:
- wool sweaters can be hand washed with a gentle detergent, or on a wool wash in the washing machine. to avoid the spin cycle from stretching your garment, we advise placing it into a mesh laundry bag. this can also be done with silk and cashmere sweaters.
- lay your sweater flat to dry naturally. be careful to support the arms so that they don’t stretch.
- it is possible to do some gentle reshaping when the wool is wet, such as stretching out the waistband and widening the arms.
- do not put your sweater in the tumble dryer as this will likely shrink and damage it.
- avoid using bleach and cool iron if required.
- we advise storing your knitwear carefully, which will help avoid moth damage, stretching, and shape distortion. it should also be stored folded and in breathable but moth-proof bags when put away for the season.
- pilling or bobbling will happen on even the most premium of sweaters, and is completely normal. pilling, which is when small balls appear on the surface of your knit, occurs when the shorter fibres in a yarn intertwine with wear. if your sweater is made from a soft yarn, it will be more prone to pilling. this will eventually stop once your knit has matured. you can use a fabric and cashmere comb to remove the bobbles with light strokes.
- How should a sweater fit?
2020欧洲杯体育正规投注平台as sweaters are knitted and can not be altered easily, it is important to find your ideal fit. whether the sweater is cut to a regular, slim or oversize silhouette, the hem should at least overlap your waistband or fall just below it. this will not apply to specific sweaters that have a cropped design.
check that the shoulder sits where your shoulder bone ends, and sleeves should finish at the base of your thumb. if your sweater billows or rolls at the hem, you should take a size down.
2020欧洲杯体育正规投注平台to guarantee a perfect fit and find your correct size for each brand, we recommend measuring your body. these measurements can then be used on most brands’ size charts for guidance on what size you need.
How To Measure
- chest: measure just underneath your armpits at the fullest part of your chest, keeping the tape horizontal
2020欧洲杯体育正规投注平台- waist and hips: keeping the tape horizontal, measure the narrowest part of your waist and the fullest part of your hips
2020欧洲杯体育正规投注平台- inseam: to measure your inseam, stand upright and measure from your crotch down the inner thigh to the ankle
2020欧洲杯体育正规投注平台- sleeve: measure from the side of your neck, and along the shoulder and arm down to your wrist
- full sleeve: you can find your full sleeve measurement by measuring from the middle of the neck, along the shoulder and arm and down to the middle of your hand
- What are the best sweater brands?
there is a wide range of brands that produce high-quality sweaters, including arket, vince, ganni, and madeline thompson.
- Are cashmere sweaters worth it?
2020欧洲杯体育正规投注平台cashmere sweaters are a luxurious addition to your wardrobe. soft and lightweight, cashmere will also keep you warmer than a lot of other materials, making it worth the investment.